Queensland Toyota Gold Stars fullback Romy Teitzel and second-rower Shaniah Power have been named in the Queensland Maroons 19-woman squad ahead of next week’s women’s State of Origin on the Sunshine Coast.
Teitzel, 22, was one of the standout players in this year’s QRLW, leading the competition in tries (8) and points (68) while finishing fourth in tackle breaks (42).
The Tully junior made her NRLW debut with the Brisbane Broncos in 2020, before being named the Gold Stars captain for the 2021 QRLW season.
Power, 24, averaged 129 running metres, 63.7 post-contact metres and 4.2 tackle breaks per game in 2021, ranking top five amongst forwards in all three categories.
The Bowen junior has had a stellar past 12 months, making her NRLW and State of Origin debuts in 2020, before being selected for her second Indigenous All Stars game earlier this year.
The 2021 women's State of Origin will be shown live on Channel 9 from 7.30pm on Friday, June 25.
(Cover photos by Alix Sweeney)
Queensland Maroons squad
1. Tamika Upton - Burleigh Bears
2. Shenae Ciesiolka - Valleys Diehards
3. Lauren Brown - Burleigh Bears
4. Julia Robinson - West Brisbane Panthers
5. Karina Brown - Burleigh Bears
6. Tarryn Aiken - Tweed Seagulls
7. Zahara Temara - Burleigh Bears
8. Chelsea Lenarduzzi - Burleigh Bears
9. Destiny Brill - Valleys Diehards*
10. Shannon Mato - North Sydney Bears
11. Tazmin Gray - Burleigh Bears
12. Tiana Raftstrand-Smith - Burleigh Bears*
13. Ali Brigginshaw (c) - Valleys Diehards
14. Romy Teitzel - North Queensland Gold Stars*
15. Natassja Purontakanen - Valleys Diehards*
16. Shaniah Power - North Queensland Gold Stars
17. Brianna Clark - Valleys Diehards*
18. Tallisha Harden - Burleigh Bears
19. Rona Peters - Tweed Seagulls
Coach: Tahnee Norris
*Yet to play State of Origin