This Saturday will mark playing milestones for two key members of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys in the Round 21 clash with the Canberra Raiders at 1300SMILES Stadium. Prop and co-captain Matt Scott will play his 200th Cowboys and National Rugby League match while fullback Lachlan Coote will play his 100th NRL match.
Matt Scott’s 200th game milestone
After having made his NRL and Cowboys debut against the Eels in Round 19, 2004, Scott - who turns 30 tomorrow - has been a cornerstone of the club’s forward pack over 12 NRL seasons. He has scored 14 tries – including three this season – and from the Cowboys has played 19 games for Queensland in State of Origin and 16 Test matches for the Kangaroos. He was named the club’s Player of the Year in 2010 and 2013, as well as earning Players’ Player honours in those same years.
Scott, from Ilfracombe in Central Queensland, will be cheered on by family members and friends on Saturday, and will be honoured by the club prior to the match. The passing of the 200 NRL-game milestone automatically makes him a Cowboys’ life member.
Lachlan Coote’s 100th NRL match
Coote, 25, played 83 games for Penrith over six seasons from 2008, but missed the entire 2014 season in what was to be his inaugural year with NQ as he suffered a serious knee injury in the Auckland Nines. This season to date, Coote has played 16 games at fullback and is a key cog in the Cowboys’ attack. He has scored four tries this season so far.
This Sunday, the club will hold its annual members’ carnival the day after the Raiders game, with the NRL and NYC squads mixing with members for two hours at Cowboys’ HQ. This event has proven highly popular over the years and is set to be another well attended event by our valued members.
THOR-some Super Hero round
Round 21 is also the popular ISC Marvel Super Heroes Round where the Cowboys and the Raiders will be in specially designed jerseys which are available for supporters to purchase. The Cowboys will be kitted out as Thor and the Raiders as The Hulk.
This is the second year of this initiative and fans at 1300SMILES Stadium this Saturday are encouraged to dress up as their favourite super hero and take advantage of the many themed activities being held in conjunction with the match. These include:
- Thor jerseys: Don’t miss out on getting your special edition Thor jersey from the merchandise stands – available in men’s, women’s and kids sizes. Or you can head into the Team Shop at the Cowboys Leagues Club or jump online and order at cowboysteamshop.com.au.
- Marvel activation zone: Head over to the Marvel activation zone in the north-east corner between 3-7pm for some serious superhero fun! Try out the Thor hammer challenge and the Hulkbuster smash plus you can get your photo taken with the Thor mascot!
- Marvel masks: Be sure to pick up your Marvel mask at the gates or from the Marvel activation zone in the north-east corner –stocks are limited. Have a look on the inside of your mask to see if you’ve won the Marvel prize – two priority passes to Oz-Comic Con! If your mask has the Avengers sticker on the inside you’re our winner – head to the game day office at NRL half time to claim.
- Fan photo booth: Get your photo taken over at the fan photo booth at the Western gate – the perfect memento for all those superhero costumes! You can take home a printed pic or share it on social media – don’t forget to tag it #ridemcowboys!
- Super hero selfies: Be sure to post a selfie of your superhero costume to Twitter or Instagram with hashtag #ridemcowboys and we’ll put you up on the big screen! Our roaming game day staff are out looking for our best-dressed superheroes – double passes to the Fantastic Fourmovie premiere at Event Cinemas next week plus Fantastic Fourprize packs up for grabs.