After starting in 2004 Glenn ‘Minty’ Mintern will once again take to the field with co-host Caroline ‘Caro’ Tahana to entertain members and fans as the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys kick off their final season at inaugural home ground 1300SMILES Stadium.
Having spent a decade with the Cowboys as a commentator, Minty has witnessed many special moments and says it’s the pride of the members and fans that stands out every season.
“Nothing beats the atmosphere as our boys run out to a packed, loud Cowboys crowd. It’s something special you just can’t feel sitting at home.”
He described standing out on the field, looking out over a crowd of Cowboys colours.
“To see the jersey’s and flags just makes you want to go that extra mile. That moment I get the crowd to say COWWWBOOYYSSSS and thousands all together reply COWWWBOOYYSSSS… it definitely gets the goose bumps happening.”
Tomorrow’s season-opening match is themed ‘Together for North Queensland’, dedicated to raising spirits in the region after the historic floods.
“This year will be super special being the last at 1300SMILES Stadium, but I think the first game will be very special as it’s the first since the floods devastated our city,” Minty said.
“I have a feeling it will be a big way of bringing everyone back together to celebrate the footy being back and what makes our city so strong – north Queensland spirit!”
Minty gave us his top five memories of 1300SMILES Stadium so far:
- A selfie with the premiership-winning team in 2015 for sure! Also, the civic reception at 1300SMILES Stadium when we won the Premiership with around 20,000 members and fans welcoming them home.
- Meeting Cowboys members of all ages and stages who ride with us win, lose or draw; plus seeing them get the chance to be on-field is special – a favourite of mine is the Fastest Feet relay which involves over 900 kids!
- Our very first finals win in 2004 was super memorable as we beat the Broncos for the first time; the noise in the centre of the field introducing the players was electric!
- Meeting talented local performers – like King Social, Jade Holland, Trent Bell and Keely Johnson – who take the stage on game day.
- Getting to know JT and having a front-row seat for his many milestones played out on home turf, and then his final home game in Round 24 to wrap up an amazing career – the emotional farewell from the crowd was incredible!
Make sure you make the most of the season with a Cowboys membership!