Return to Cairns for pre-season trial
North Queensland Toyota Cowboys outside back Gideon Gela-Mosby says he will be working hard this pre-season ahead of the club’s first official outing in 2018 – a trial match in front of his beloved Cairns fans in February.
Torres Strait born and raised and Cairns-schooled, Gela-Mosby, 20, has a strong affiliation with the Far North Queensland city, having played for Cowboys’ Queensland Cup feeder side the Northern Pride in the 2017 season.
During that first season as a National Rugby League-contracted Cowboy, Gela-Mosby made his top-flight debut, scoring a try in his first match. He would go on to play four NRL games in his rookie season, scoring three tries.
During the year, Gela-Mosby signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him at the Cowboys until the end of 2019.
A former Queensland Under-20s rep, Gela-Mosby said his taste of NRL in 2017 lit within him the desire for more first-grade footy and that started, he said, with putting himself front and centre when the teams for two pre-season trials are announced.
“The pre-season so far has been great,” he said. “All the boys are up, we’ve got nearly the whole squad back now and we’re all just working hard and preparing well for next year.”
“I’m excited about the prospect of getting back on to the footy field and I’m eyeing that trial against the Wests Tigers in Cairns, which will be a great atmosphere.
“I had a great year playing up there with the Pride, so it will good to chance a chance for a run in front of the Cowboys’ Cairns members and fans.”
Cairns’ Barlow Park will be the scene for one of two pre-season trials for the club ahead of their 2018 campaign, with head coach Paul Green expected to have all but a handful of his 2018 NRL squad available for selection.
Also eyeing that match will be co-captain Matt Scott (knee) and young centre Shaun Hudson (knee); the pair having spent the past 10 months rehabbing together from ACL injuries.
The trial is being run by Cairns and District Rugby League and will be another chance for the region to showcase the redeveloped Barlow Park, which hosted matches in the recent Rugby League World Cup.
CDRL secretary Pat Bailey told The Cairns Post that it was ideal timing to build momentum into the local season and take advantage of the recent venue upgrades.
“I get excited every time, because what we’re trying to do is assist people in the area to see the Cowboys and this is our way we can offer people the opportunity to see them,” Ms Bailey said.
Individual tickets for the match are on sale now, with a great-value Cairns trial game membership also available through the Cowboys membership team.
- Grandstand: $49
- General Admission: Adult $23.10; Child (5-17yr) $7.35; Family $49 (4 tickets @ $12.25ea); Student/pensioner $7.35
- Available via: ticketlink.com.au or call 1300 855 835
- *Ticket price includes a booking fee of 5% of ticket price capped at $2 per ticket
Cowboys Cairns Trial Game Membership - $60!
- General admission ticket (outer) to Cowboys v Tigers pre-season trial, 17 Feb, Barlow Park
- Access to exclusive members area to watch open training session, 16 Feb, Barlow Park
- Super Star membership, including merchandise pack or Team Shop voucher (value $30) and Cowboys Leagues Club membership (value $11), plus lots of other exclusive benefits!
- Online: membership.cowboys.com.au
- Phone: 1300 462 692 (option 1)
- In person: Cowboys HQ, 1300SMILES Stadium, Kirwan