Saturday night’s all right for the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys as the National Rugby League today released its draw for the 2017 season.
The league has allocated home and away matches for the entire season, including specific game dates for the first 20 rounds.
The Cowboys’ first nine home matches – to be played at 1300SMILES Stadium – feature six Saturday twilight or night matches, while afternoon footy returns to 1300SMILES Stadium with the Round 16 clash on 24 June against the Penrith Panthers kicking off at 3pm.
Cowboys CEO Greg Tonner said Saturday matches were the preferred option for the club, as it allowed members and fans from across the club’s vast footprint time to travel.
“The primary geographical range of our membership base is vast so we’re acutely aware of the importance of Saturday games during the season,” Mr Tonner said.
“We’re pleased to have received the bulk of our home matches as Saturday fixtures. It allows our wonderful supporters in these North Queensland communities time to travel to 1300SMILES Stadium so they can cheer on their beloved team.”
One of those Saturday games – against the Knights in Round 8 – will pay tribute to North Queensland defence communities as part of the Anzac round of fixtures.
“We’ve got some very big plans for this match themed around defence and the magnificent organisations and families that form such an integral part of our NQ communities,” Mr Tonner said.
“The players will wear specially-designed commemorative jerseys and we’ll pay fitting tribute to those brave souls throughout history who’ve served their country.
“We want this to be a time to reflect and remember with pride. This match is a 5.30pm kick-off, making it ideal for the whole family to attend.”
Other highlights of the 2017 NRL draw include:
- The Cowboys will play six of their first nine games of the 2017 season at home, including the season-opener against the Canberra Raiders on Saturday 4 March.
- Two matches against Queensland rivals the Brisbane Broncos: away in Round 2 and home in Round 26. Three of the past four matches between these sides have been decided by one-point margins.
- Consecutive home matches against the 2016 grand finalists: Round 22 versus the Storm, and Round 24 versus the Sharks.
- A round 14 match in Darwin against the Eels, who are taking one of their games to the Top End.
- The return to Cairns in Round 19 for a clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Be there for all the action, all season long with a 2017 Cowboys membership!
It's the best way to lock in your games for the 2017 season.
• Online: cowboys.com.au/membership
• Tel: 1300 462 692 (option 1)
• In person: Cowboys HQ, 1300SMILES Stadium, Kirwan