The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys under-20s side will run out 1-17 in today’s Round 11 National Youth Competition match against the Brisbane Broncos at 1300SMILES Stadium.
Kaleb Fuimaono will drop off the extended bench.
The game kicks off at 5.35pm.
Cowboys NYC: 1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Gideon Gela-Mosby 3. Bacho Salam 4. Nathan Traill 5. Marcus Jensen 6. Ty Carucci 7. Cooper Bambling 8. Darryn Schonig 9. Brandon Smith 10. Ross Bella 11. Coen Hess (c) 12. Hiale Roycroft 13. Jordan Kenworthy. Interchange: 14. Trey Kemp 15. Tahanui Tutavake 16. Emry Pere 17. Nick Lui-Toso.
Referee: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski
Touch judges: Zac Schembri, Nick Pelgrave
- Despite being last-start winners, the young Cowboys hardly came home with a wet sail against the Storm last weekend, being outpointed in the second half to lead three late tries for an unconvincing 44-38 win.
- But it was a triumphant return to the field for winger Gideon Gela-Mosby, who scored a hat-trick in his return game after a significant groin injury.
- Fullback Kalyn Ponga also had a strong game, scoring a sensational solo try where he ran 80m and beat eight would-be defenders using evasion, strength and pace.
- One player will drop off coach Aaron Payne’s bench for the game.
- The Cowboys sit in third on the National Youth Competition ladder with seven wins from their 10 matches. Their points differential is +67, the third best in the comp behind Penrith (+334) and Wests Tigers (+132).
- Cowboys hooker Brandon Smith continues to impress and is currently the NYC’s second-most effective dummy-half runner with 52 scoots.
- Smith’s teammate Kalyn Ponga has the second-most kick receipts in the comp with 70.
COACH AARON PAYNE: “We need to be better defensively, especially with the game winding down.”