The opening day of the 2015 Laurie Spina Shield under-11s rugby league carnival wrapped up with all 64 teams enjoying a full day of junior footy action on Friday.
Proudly presented by the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys and Fantastic Furniture, the Laurie Spina Shield is in its 19th year, with day one featuring the completion of the first four full rounds of competition at Brothers Rugby League Club, Kirwan.
The grand final will be played as the main curtain-raiser to tonight's round 16 NRL match between the Cowboys and the Sharks at 1300SMILES Stadium.
Prior to that match, all teams will play at least two more matches at Brothers, as well as one player and one official from each team forming a guard of honour for the NRL team run-on and all 64 teams taking part in the Fastest Feet Relay at NRL half time.
Day one highlights included:
- The traditional signing session at Cowboys HQ featuring all Laurie Spina Shield players and the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys NRL squad.
- Springsure Mountain Men opening up their campaign with a 40-4 win over North Thuringowa Devils Gold.
- Central Scorpions winning their opening four matches, including a 12-0 victory over Proserpine Whitsundays and a 24-8 win over Townsville Centrals Gold just 90 minutes apart.
- A 12-all draw between the Moranbah Miners and Emu Park.
- A tight 8-4 win for Townsville team Western Lions Pride over Norths Devils Mackay.
- A 4-all draw between Western Lions Roar and Cape Central Suns.
- The visiting NT Titans winning two of their opening four matches.
TIMES – Saturday 27 June, 1300SMILES Stadium:
12.45pm: Gates open
1pm: NYC Cowboys v Sharks
2.45pm: Qld v NSW Women’s Interstate Challenge
4.30pm: Laurie Spina Shield Final
5.30pm: Cowboys v Sharks