Sims suspended for round 23
Toyota Cowboy Tariq Sims lost out at the NRL judiciary tonight and will now miss the round 23 Monday Night Football clash with Penrith.
The judiciary panel of Sean Garlick, Don McKinnon and Royce Ayliffe found Sims guilty of a grade one dangerous contact charge even though the Cowboys had argued, via a video link, that there was no video evidence to prove a “crusher” tackle had been committed on Wests Tigers’ Tim Simona in Saturday night’s match at 1300SMILES Stadium.
Only one angle of the incident, which was not penalised by the on-field officials, was available to be shown.
Being found guilty tonight cost Sims 120 penalty points which are now added to the 13 carryover points already on his record.
Had he elected to plead guilty, he still would have been suspended for a week with 103 points.
Cowboys coach Paul Green described the panel’s finding as “really surprising”.
“I thought the video clearly showed Tariq took every duty of care he could to make sure Tim Simona wasn’t put in a dangerous position,” Green said.
“I’m disappointed with the outcome.
“I think Simona certainly contributed to putting himself in that position. Attacking players are trying to find their front to get a quick play-the-ball and I think that was definitely the case with Simona.
“As the tackle unfolded, Tariq did everything he could to ensure he wasn’t put in a dangerous position.
“There was nothing dangerous about it.”
With Sims out, Green now has to find a new starting back-rower to face the Panthers.
“It’s only one game and he’ll be back the week after bigger and better,” the coach said.
“I’m sure it will put a bit of fire in his belly to make sure he doesn’t miss any more games for the rest of the year.”
Sims was suspended earlier in the season for a shoulder charge in the round 11 clash with Canberra.