You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

MACKAY CUTTERS 22 (Justin Tavae, Zac Santo, James Uhatafe, Chris Ulugia, Jason Schirnack tries; John Asiata goal) def REDCLIFFE DOLPHINS 12 (Liam Georgetown, David Hala tries; Adrian Davis, Tyson Cleal goals) at Stadium Mackay.

The Mackay Cutters gave their top five prospects a huge lift following a crucial victory over the Redcliffe Dolphins at Stadium Mackay on Saturday night.

Following a fiery game that ended in a 22-12 win for Mackay, last year's premiers now have some much needed confidence heading into the middle stages of the Intrust Super Cup season.

Thirsty for some points, the Cutters scored the first try of the game after an impressive play by fullback Justin Tavae resulted in him breaking through the Dolphins right side of defence.

A mere 15 minutes later the Cutters showed no signs of slowing down, making excellent ground and easily firing through the Dolphins front line. 

Making a break along the left sideline, front rower and XXXX man of the match Jason Schirnack laid down the second try of the game.

With the first quarter of the match having elapsed, the scoreboard stood at 8-0 after two unsuccessful conversions by second rower John Asiata.

Again slipping through the holes in the Dolphins left side of defence, winger Zac Santo was able to make a break 30 metres out from the try line, easily laying down the try that would leave the Cutters with a comfortable lead coming into half time.

A successful conversion by Asiata left the score at 14-0. 

Powering into the second half, the Dolphins were finally able to gain some momentum, with their line of attack growing solid and forcing the Cutters to lift their game despite their lead. 

With 28 minutes left in the second half, Redcliffe's Stewart Mills crossed the try line but was held up leaving the scoreboard unchanged.

Not letting their rocky start affect them however, the Dolphins displayed some of the fight and skill that has put them in their top five position.

Making use of the mere quarter of the game that was left, Redcliffe forced the Cutters’ defence back with a break made by front rower David Hala, resulting in the visiting team’s first four pointer of the match.

The Cutters, determined not to let their opposition take the lead, used their aggressive line of attack to their advantage with Mackay scoring their first try of the second half after centre James Uhatafe darted over.

The Cutters’ final try of the match, scored by winger Santo, occurred next with only seven minutes left in the game.

Redcliffe winger Liam Georgetown scored a late try for the Dolphins, but it was the Cutters who were celebrating after the siren.

IPSWICH JETS 24 (Brendon Marshall 2, Javarn White, Sam Martin tries; Wes Conlon 4 goals) def NORTHERN PRIDE 18 (Jason Roos, Ethan Lowe, Cameron King tries; Shaun Nona 3 goals) at North Ipswich Reserve.

The history of games involving the Ipswich Jets and the Northern Pride are littered with comebacks and another great chapter was written at the North Ipswich Reserve on Saturday.

With the Ipswich Jets Colts singing the team song for the first time in 2014, the club’s Intrust Super Cup team took the field determined to get off to a good start.

The Ipswich Jets coaches Ben and Shane Walker drilled into the Jets all week the danger of the Northern Pride’s forwards and specifically the hooker rotation of Cameron King and Pride veteran Jason Roos.

The Ipswich Jets didn’t heed the warning with the Pride scoring three first half tries – all to forwards – with Roos and King contributing two under the sticks and Ethan Lowe scoring to the right of the posts.

After 30 minutes, the Pride were in complete control with an 18-0 advantage.

Enter the Ipswich Jets second most capped player Brendon Marshall who on the end of a Wes Conlon flick pass, went over in the corner to open the Ipswich Jets account.

Conlon converted to take the game to 18-6 at half time.

Summoning the great spirit of the Ipswich comeback in 2010 when the Jets trailed 16-0 at half time and went on to win 22-16, the Jets left the sheds knowing what had to be done.

The Jets started the half by regaining the ball after another smart restart.

They then took the two points from an offside penalty to take the score to 18-8 with 25 minutes to go.

Javarn White took off and beat what seemed like every Pride player on his way to score.

The spectacular 40m try and Wes Conlon conversion cut the margin to four points.

Not to be outdone, Conlon made sure Marshall went over for a double in the right corner when the Jets attacked the short side.

It locked the score up at 18 all with 20 minutes to go.

With six minutes remaining and the game still locked at 18-18, Jets back-rower Sam Martin decided to get one back for the Jets forwards and score a long range try, turning Pride fullback Javid Bowen inside and out as he put on a huge step to score and put the Jets in front for the first time.

Conlon added the extras to see the Ipswich Jets up 24-18 with five minutes to go.

This game still had one last turn with the Jets dropping the kick off and having to defend their own line for three sets before the siren went.

Acknowledgement of Country

North Queensland Cowboys respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.