Cowboys on tour in February!
Thursday 24 January 2013 12:13 PM
Around half a million North Queenslanders will have direct access to their NRL team, the Toyota Cowboys, when their packed pre-season tour gets underway next week.
The month-long Cowboys on Tour 2013 schedule includes a host of events open to the public as well as the club’s three pre-season trial matches – against the Brisbane Broncos in Mt Isa (9 February), the St George Illawarra Dragons in Cairns (16 February) and Gold Coast Titans in Mackay (23 February).
The tour kicks off with two hours of free entertainment at the annual Community Day at Townsville RSL Stadium on Saturday week, 2 February.
In the following three weeks, almost every town on the Bruce Highway north to Cairns and south to Mackay and along the Flinders Highway west to Mt Isa will receive a visit from either the Cowboys playing group, coaches or junior development staff.
Each of the pre-season fixtures will be preceded by an open training session to allow Cowboys members and supporters the chance to watch their team in action and then meet up afterwards for photos and autographs.
There will also be public appearances at the Toyota dealerships in Cairns and Mackay, Stockland shopping centre in Cairns, as well as a sold-out fundraising dinner for local rugby league in Mt Isa.
Four NRL players not involved in the opening trial will be in Mt Isa for NRL Community Carnival appearances for the three days prior to the Broncos clash and there will be school visits in each of the pre-season locations.
Cowboys CEO Peter Jourdain said he expected the North Queensland community to embrace the unprecedented access to the Cowboys squad.
“It’s been a long time since we’ve been able to schedule all of our pre-season trials in North Queensland and to celebrate we’ve come up with more public events than ever before,” Mr Jourdain said.
“With the Community Day in Townsville and games in Mt Isa, Cairns and Mackay, it’s only going to be a short drive for the majority of our NQ fans to watch their team in action or meet them at one of our public events.
“It’s going to be a busy schedule but our players and staff are looking forward to meeting as many of our members and fans as they can ahead of what will be an exciting 2013 season.”
The Cowboys’ development team, which now includes recently retired life member Aaron Payne, will give away Cowboys and NRL merchandise when they hit the road for junior development blitzes from Tuesday 5 February.
Some of the towns they will visit include Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek, Boulia, Cloncurry, Cardwell, Tully, Mission Beach, Innisfail, Babinda, Bowen, Proserpine and Sarina, with others expected to be added as the dates draw closer.
The Mt Isa trial is already a sell-out after the 4,000 tickets were snapped up, but tickets are still available for the final two matches.
COWBOYS ON TOUR SCHEDULE
• 2013 Community Day, Townsville RSL Stadium, Saturday 2 February (10.30am-12.30pm)
• Junior development blitz – from Tuesday 5 February
• Four NRL players in Mt Isa for NRL Community Carnival – from Wednesday 6 February
• NRL squad school visits – Friday 8 February (morning)
• NRL open training session, Alec Inch Oval – Friday 8 February (afternoon)
• NRL trial v Brisbane Broncos, Alec Inch Oval – 5pm, Saturday 9 February
• Junior development blitz – from Tuesday 12 February
• NRL squad appearances, Pacific Toyota & Stockland Cairns – Thursday 14 February
• NRL squad school visits – Friday 15 February (morning)
• NRL open training session, Barlow Park – Friday 15 February (afternoon)
• NRL trial v St George Illawarra, Barlow Park – 7.30pm Saturday 16 February
• Junior development blitz – from Tuesday 19 February
• NRL squad appearance, Mackay Toyota – Thursday 21 February (afternoon)
• NRL squad schools visits – Friday 22 February (morning)
• NRL open training sessions, Virgin Australia Stadium – Friday 22 February (afternoon)
• NRL trial v Gold Coast Titans, Virgin Australia Stadium – 7.30pm, Saturday 23 February
Times for appearances and venues for junior development blitz/school visits will be confirmed closer to the date.