Cowboys on Tour - Week 2!
Monday 11 February 2013 1:53 PM
Visits to schools between Cardwell and Cairns, public appearances by the North Queensland NRL squad, an open training session and the Cowboys’ pre-season clash with St George Illawarra are on the itinerary for the second full week of Cowboys on Tour 2013.
After a highly successful swing through north-west Queensland last week, including a trip to the remote Gulf towns of Normanton and Doomadgee and visits to 13 Mt Isa schools, the Cowboys’ development team will head north from Cardwell along the Bruce Highway tomorrow.
As part of North Queensland’s BHP Billiton Cannington Try Time! program, Cowboys development officers Aaron Payne and Gavin Lloyd will join former Cowboys and Origin winger and current Northern Pride player Ty Williams at five schools on Tuesday.
They will speak to students at assemblies on topics including anti-bullying, healthy eating, the importance of exercise, the benefits of getting an education, social media safety and goal setting, as well as passing on some of their rugby league knowledge at skills clinics.
The northern leg of the tour kicks off at Cardwell State School followed by Kennedy State School, Murray River Upper State School, Lower Tully State School and St Clare’s Parish School at Tully.
Three development teams, including NRL and Pride development officers, will be in action on the Cassowary Coast on Wednesday.
Their destinations include state schools in Mission Beach, Feluga, El Arish, Bellenden Ker, McDonnell Creek, Babinda, Mirriwinni, Innisfail, South Johnstone and East Innisfail, as well as St Rita’s Babinda, Radiant Life College, St Rita’s South Johnstone and St John’s Silkwood.
Thursday will be one of the biggest days of the Cowboys on Tour month with the NRL squad arriving in Cairns for the clash with the Dragons at Barlow Park on Saturday.
The Cowboys will meet their members and supporters at Pacific Toyota at 4.30pm before heading to Stockland Cairns at 5.30pm, while the development teams will visit Good Counsel College and Primary School in Innisfail, Innisfail State College and the state schools at Mourilyan, Moresby, Mundoo and Tully.
School students in the Cairns region will have the Cowboys as special guests on Friday morning before an open training session at Barlow Park at 4pm.
Tickets for the Saturday night trial game are still available through Brothers Leagues Club in Cairns.
COWBOYS ON TOUR SCHEDULE
• Junior development blitz – from Tuesday 12 February
• NRL squad appearances – Pacific Toyota (4.30pm) & Stockland Cairns (5.30pm) on Thursday 14 February
• NRL squad school visits – Friday 15 February (morning)
• NRL open training session – 4pm, Friday 15 February, Barlow Park
• NRL trial v St George Illawarra – 7.30pm, Saturday 16 February, Barlow Park
• Junior development blitz – from Tuesday 19 February
• NRL squad appearance – Mackay Toyota, Thursday 21 February (afternoon)
• NRL squad schools visits – Friday 22 February (morning)
• NRL open training session – 4pm, Friday 22 February, Virgin Australia Stadium
• NRL trial v Gold Coast Titans – 7.30pm, Saturday 23 February, Virgin Australia Stadium