Monday 14 January 2013 1:06 PM
• Rugby league fans in the Mt Isa region have already snapped up almost 3,000 tickets for the Cowboys’ pre-season trial against the Brisbane Broncos on Saturday 9 February. It will be the first clash between the two Queensland rivals in the north-west and Cowboys coach Neil Henry is expected to name a number of NRL regulars in his squad. If you haven’t got your tickets yet, be sure to head along to MacRae News in East Street, Mt Isa, in the next few days because the game could be a sell-out. Tickets: $20 (adults), $10 (children).
• The Moranbah Miners were quick off the mark to lodge their entry for the 2013 Laurie Spina Shield, presented by Guildford Coal. Their nomination form was the first to arrive at Cowboys HQ before the Christmas-New Year break. Team nominations for the under-11s carnival, to be held on the weekend of 29-30 June in conjunction with the Cowboys’ NRL home game against Cronulla, will close on Friday 3 May. To nominate, go to www.cowboys.com.au/laurie-spina-shield.
• Cowboys fullback Matthew Bowen loves his American sport and was devastated when his NFL team, the heavily-favoured Denver Broncos, were knocked out of the playoffs in overtime at the weekend. Much happier was young prop Sam Hoare who is a fan of the victorious team, the Baltimore Ravens.
• The pre-season edition of Rugby League Week (out now) features our co-captain Johnathan Thurston on the cover. The shot of the champion five-eighth running along the water’s edge was taken at the Strand in Townsville.
• JT will be in Brisbane this Wednesday for the announcement of the Indigenous All Stars and NRL All Stars squads for their 9 February clash at Suncorp Stadium. With Matthew Bowen and Anthony Mitchell ruled out following off-season shoulder surgery, it looks like JT will be the only Cowboy in the Indigenous lineup.
• Belated happy birthday greetings to last year’s most improved player Kane Linnett (24) and new recruit Clint Greenshields (31), who celebrated their birthdays on Friday. This week’s birthday boy is Ray Thompson who will reach 23 on Sunday. We can’t forget our player welfare manager, Kevin Marty, who turned 50 at the weekend and starred on the slip’n’slide at his party.
• A signed and framed Cowboys jersey and a signed Cowboys pink Women in League jersey will be among the great auction items up for bids at the Power of Pink breast cancer fundraiser at Rydges Southbank in Townsville on 2 February. Tickets, which must be purchased prior to the event, cost $100 and include a three-course meal and four-hour drinks package. The evening starts at 6pm. For more information, contact Megan Ross on 0414 299 816.
• New season apparel is on sale now at the official Cowboys Team Shop. You'll find the range of 2013 jerseys – Home, Away, Pink, Heritage and Indigenous – plus polos, caps and the brand new 2013 Cowboys range exclusive to the Team Shop - available now in-store and online at www.cowboysteamshop.com.au!