Tuesday 11 December 2012 5:34 PM
All the inside news from the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys...
• The highest-profile members of the Cowboys’ NRL squad donned their 2013 jerseys for the first time on Tuesday for the team’s poster shoot. Without giving too much away, 20 players had individual shots taken in various poses which will then appear on a dressing room background. There was plenty of fun involved as our players turned into models if only for a short period of time. The poster will be available for our members and supporters in the new year.
• For the first time ever, the public is able to buy tickets online for a Cairns NRL trial game when the Cowboys take on the St George Illawarra Dragons at Barlow Park on Saturday, February 16. League fans can buy their tickets through Tickets Cairns ( www.ticketscairns.com.au), as well as in person through Brothers Leagues Club and over the telephone.
• Co-captain Johnathan Thurston has been named at five-eighth in the World XIII announced by England-based Rugby League World magazine. However, the judging panel surprisingly decided to overlook the Cowboys’ two Test props and went for Englishman James Graham and New Zealand’s Sam Kasiano as the two front-rowers.
• Wednesday will be a rare day off from pre-season training for North Queensland’s NRL squad. After that, they face a busy ending to the pre-Christmas training block which concludes on Saturday, 22 December.
• State of Origin winger Brent Tate chatted with the media during his Random Acts of Kindness Week visit to the Townsville Hospital on Tuesday and revealed he is yet to decide whether he will play on in 2014. Tatey’s contract with North Queensland enters its final year in 2013 but his form last season showed he is still one of the best outside backs in the NRL. His good mate Ash Graham is another Cowboy pondering his future beyond next season.
• Gavin Cooper will be a special guest at Wulguru State School’s awards night on Wednesday. Coops has been a frequent visitor to the school as part of the Stockland Adopt-a-School program which runs during the home and away fixture season.
• This week’s birthday boy is newly re-signed front-rower James Tamou who turns 24 on Thursday. With a new contract until 2016 in his pocket, it should be a very happy day for “Aussie Jim”.
• It looks like Scott Moore enjoyed the surroundings of last Friday’s early morning training session at the Palmetum so much he headed back there at the weekend. This time, however, he was joined by his partner Emma to explore Townsville’s Botanic Gardens that features one of the largest and most diverse public collections of palms in the world.
• One Cowboys NRL player had his departure from training delayed on Tuesday morning. The reason? His car key snapped in half as he went to start his vehicle.
• Most of the Cowboys players who are on Twitter have now had their accounts verified. This means you can certain it is the player who is tweeting, not a fake. Among the NRL squad members on Twitter are Matthew Bowen, James Tamou, Anthony Mitchell, Ray Thompson, Tariq Sims, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Michael Morgan, Sam Hoare, Scott Moore, Jason Taumalolo, Alex Elisala, Ethan Lowe and Kyle Feldt.
• The Intrust Super Cup draw for 2013 has been released by the Queensland Rugby League and it has thrown up the northern derby between Mackay Cutters and Northern Pride in round one in mid-March. Before the season starts, each NQ Cowboy is allocated to one of the two clubs and can be selected for the state competition if they are not in the NRL team for that weekend’s round. For example, if JT wasn’t selected for the Cowboys, he’d be available for his team, the Mackay Cutters.
• A crew from Fox Sports News spent some time with the Cowboys late last week. You will see those stories on Foxtel channel 513 over the next few weeks.